If you don’t know jackfruit, you will soon. It’s a sustainable vegan meat replacement and it’s set to be one of the biggest food trends of 2018. While it is a fruit, its consistency is similar to that of chicken or pork. It has a fairly neutral taste when young, so it takes on the flavor of whatever sauce or seasoning you pair it with. It works especially well with this tangy BBQ sauce.
True story: I served this to a meat loving friend and he gobbled it up without even asking what kind of meat it was...... or wasn't.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- One 10.6-ounce package plain jackfruit, rinsed and drained (such as Upton’s Naturals), and broken up with a spatula
- 4 hamburger buns
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté for 3 minutes, until softened.
2. Reduce heat to low and add the ketchup, honey, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder. Stir for 3 minutes until well combined. Add the jackfruit and heat through for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer a quarter of the jackfruit to each of the buns. Serve while hot.
Curated from USA Today: Frances Largeman-Roth, RD, is a nutrition expert, writer and best-selling author. Her books include Feed the Belly, The CarbLovers Diet and Eating in Color. Follow her @FrancesLRothRD and check out her website franceslargemanroth.com.